If you are like many other bike owners, you will want to keep your bike safe when you park it somewhere. When you are leaving your bike for a while to purchase stuff in your convenience store, you can’t help but keep looking at your bike that you park outside. Leaving your bike in a place has never been an easy experience. You will always worry if someone has been spotting your bike and planning to steal it.
Well, solve the matter by purchasing the bike locks. The market offers you with various bike locks to choose from. Which one is best for you? How to find the best bike locks for securing your bike? Here is how you are going to do it.
1. Otto Design Works 60″ Combo Lock
The Otto Design Works 60″ Combo Lock is a lightweight and compact cinch lock that is stronger than a traditional cable lock but is much lighter than a U-lock. The lock is made of steel and Kevlar bands and is perfect for bikers who need to make a quick stop somewhere. It can be easily stored in a bag or pack and can coil to a diameter under 3 inches. Otto Design Works 60″ Combo Lock has a resettable combination with a 3-dial combination lock that can be reset at any time.
2. Serfas Big City Linked Lock
Comprised of 12mm hardened steel links, the Big City Chain lock by Serfas is a dependable way to lock up your cycle. A protective nylon sleeve surrounds the links to prevent scratching, and a sliding dust cover protects the inner locking mechanism. The lock comes with two keys on a ring, receives one of Serfas’ best security ratings.
3. Kryptonite KryptoLok Standard U-Lock with Cable
This wonderful lock provides reasonable security protection bikers locking their cycles in suburban or rural areas, or for making a quick stop in a metro area. The lock features a FlexFrame-U bracket that attaches to multiple locations on your bike for convenient U-lock transport. 2 stainless-steel keys have an ergonomic design that reduces the amount of torque to keep them from bending or breaking. Patent-pending hardened double-deadbolt design delivers additional protection against twist attacks.
4. ABUS Granit X-Plus 540 U-Lock
ABUS Granit X-Plus 540 U-lock is a great lock that is perfect for valuable bikes that need strong theft protection. It features patented power-cell technology that provides protection against hitting and pulling attacks, while the X-Plus key cylinder offers protection from picking. The lock includes code card for ordering additional or replacement keys.
5. Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini U-Lock
This innovative lock features 18mm hardened MAX-Performance steel shackle that resists bolt cutters and leverage attacks. Its disc-style cylinder delivers high security protection that is pick- and drill-resistant. The lock comes with 3 stainless-steel keys, one of which is an LED replaceable key fob. Kryptonite rates this lock a 10 on a 10-point system with 1 being simple, deterrent security and 10 being extreme security.
6. Kryptonite New York 1210 Chain Lock
Kryptonite New York 1210 chain lock is a great choice for everyone who wants a decent protection for their bike. It has 12mm thick chain links and a sturdy lock to help protect your valuable bike from theft. The centrally placed key slot provides added defense against leverage attacks. The lock comes with 3 stainless-steel keys, one of which key features a built-in light with a high-intensity bulb and replaceable battery.
7. ABUS uGrip Bordo 5700 Folding Lock
The ABUS uGrip Bordo 5700 folding lock offers expansive flexibility in a compact design to protect your bike. The 5mm steel bars are linked with special rivets, offering protection for situations where the risk of theft is low to medium. In addition, the convenient transport mode (CTM) provides an immediate use of the lock.
8. ABUS Ultra 410 U-Lock + Cobra 10 Cable
Featuring a simple, strong and aggressive design, this lock cable is the ideal entry-level U-lock and cable setup for securing your bike. Its innovative soft-touch housing cover prevents damage to paint. The shackle, body and supporting elements are made from temper hardened steel for cut and torsion resistance.
9. ABUS Bordo Lite 6055 Folding Lock
ABUS Bordo Lite 6055 Folding Lock is a wonderful lock that comes with mechanical properties that guarantee a high level of security and flexibility. The bars and housing are manufactured using lightweight materials and steel alloys. Small enough to slip into the pocket of a cycling jersey, the lock offers protection in situations where the risk of theft is low to medium.
10. ABUS Steel-O-Chain 6800 Chain Lock
Chains are a pain to cut because they shift and don’t offer good leverage for a thief, so the ABUS Steel-O-Chain 6800 chain lock is exactly what you want to help keep your bike secure. It comes with 2 keys, so you can keep one at home in case your keychain goes MIA. The 8mm square, hardened-steel chain links are strong and durable and high corrosion resistance ensures years of service.
Types of Bike Locks
First things first, you will need to know the bike locks types that are available in the market. There are many types of locks that come with their pros and cons.
Make sure to know all of the types first before proceeding. Compare one type of locks to another and pick the best one for you and your bike. Each type of lock offers different types of protection and features. So, there is no one-size-fits-for-all solution.
But before going further to the bike types, you would want to understand this term first: Sold Secure. Sold Secure is a rating which qualifies the quality of the bike locks. If you notice that the bike locks you find on the net do not come with the Sold Secure label, then you just need to skip that option. Sold Secure Rating is very important to determine the security quality of the bike locks.
The Sold Secure rating has three different ratings: Bronze, Silver, and Gold. As the levels of the values of these metals, Gold signifies the best quality of protection. If necessary, you would just need to focus your search on Gold bike locks.
Now, let’s indulge in the different types of Bike locks you can find on the marketplace.
- D Lock: D Lock is one of the most common types of bike locks. D-Lock is also known as U-Lock. This kind of bike lock has been available since four decades ago. This type of lock comes in various sizes, weights, shapes, as well as designs. D-Lock or U-lock has been proven to be effective to resist any attempt of stealing such as bolt cutters, drilling, picking, and other types of attacks. It is also generally lighter than the other types of bike locks. You can also easily find this kind of Lock in various Sold Secure rating levels. You could also combine the D-lock with another type of lock to layer your security. For instance, you could combine D-Lock and Chain Lock.
- Chain Lock: The Chain Lock’s main material is metal. Therefore, it will be very hard for thieves to break the metal chain. It is usually installed with a padlock. The links and chains come in a different size, weights, as well as strengths. You will want to pick the right one for your bike. The chain lock tends to be heavier than other types of bike locks. The size and flexibility of the chain look make it easier for you to use it to protect any size of the bike. The chain lock is also available in Sold Secure rating level.
- Cable Lock: Cable lock, as the name suggests, looks like cable but don’t get deceived with the appearance. It is strong and resilient so that it would be hard to beat it. It is flexible like a chain lock but has more lightweight characteristics. It is unlocked using the combination. But it is less resilient than a chain lock. If you are living in the low-risk areas, using cable locks is still feasible.
- Folding lock: The folding lock has such a compact design. You can mount it on your bike frame for transporting, and easily install it when you park your bike. It is also lighter. Consider to lock it well in the best area to deter the thieves from stealing it.
- Ground Anchor: A ground anchor is installed into the concrete of your house, garage, or other location. Unlike the other locks, these anchors are drilled into the concrete. It would be a tough challenge to beat.
Bike lock style is indeed the savior of your bike. The bulky locking system can resist hard tools. Meanwhile, the D lock shape could limit the leveraging. Each bike lock has its perks if used. They also come in various sizes. Size the lock which will go around the parts of the bike that you are locking.
It is easy to clean and maintain the bike lock. If it is the mechanism, you could use the WD-40 solution to clean your lock. Also, read the manual of the lock which is given by the manufacturer. Read it thoroughly so that you can maintain it well.